Hello fellow adventurers!
I’m writing this at 8am central time! Will and I are on our way to meet up with friends and family in Colorado for a long weekend of camping. We are currently listening to Bertha’s Road Songs on Spotify (everyone seriously needs to checkout this road tripping playlist made by Brainna Madia for some amazing 35 hour+ tunes). We are heading out on our first camping trip of the year. I am beyond thrilled to be going to Colorado when most of the campgrounds are just opening this weekend! I figured I would share with you a comprehensive list of whats in my car right now, some of my favorite gear, and must have items I would recommend you bring with you!
Now obviously you don’t have to take all of this gear with you. This is just what works for us and each time we find that it is evolving. You will always find yourself saying, “I wish I would have brought this or that”. That I why you make a note on your phone or write it down for easier packing next time!
Here is my complete car camping gear list:
In and Around Camp-
- Tarp: we use this instead of a tent footprint for under tent (for now).
- Sleeping Bag(s)
- Blankets: A bunch of old blankets we don’t care about getting dirty, smelling like a campfire, and ideally don’t hold a lot of moisture.
- Sleeping Pad(s)
- Camping Chairs : We have one found in the link by REI and another by Big Agnes.
- Lamp : We LOVE this little lamp for inside the tent. It dims and is so compact!
- Cooler(s): We are currently using a small Yeti Roadie cooler for drinks and a very old and beat up large Coleman Cooler for Food. Similar found here.
- Rubber Mallet: for staking down tent, without damaging stakes.
- Multi-tool or knife.
- Extra Batteries
- Fire Stater
Kitchen Supplies –
My personal gear changes with the season and with what I am planning on cooking! Pick and choose what is important and necessary for yourself!
- Heat-proof Cooking Utensils
- Enameled Cooking Pots
- Cast Iron Pan
- Heavy Duty Tin Foil
- Water Bottles / Ice Packs: for cooler
- Heavy Duty Garbage Bags
- Washing Bucket
- Biodegradable Dish Soap
- Microfiber Towels/ Old Rags
- Matches / Lighters
- Grill Rack
- Pot Graber
- Enameled coffee cups
- Plastic Bowls / Plates / Silverware
- Gallon Storage Bags
- Large Plastic Mixing Bowl
- Utensils : Pairing Knife, Large Knife, Metal Spatula, Whisk, Cutting Board
- Food: I plan on doing a detailed camping food blog post very soon!
Clothing and Footwear –
If cold nights are possible come prepared!
- Rain Jacket
- Quick-dry long sleeves and t-shirts
- Quick-dry pants or shorts.
- Long underwear layers: I have a few different brands. I always look at the material and the weight of the fabric (usually sticking to mid-weight pants and shirts).
- Heavy sweatshirts: Patagonia makes my favorite. I have this version and this version.
- Socks: Merino wool socks are best. I always bring double the socks per the days to be able to change pairs after a hike or if it is raining!
- Insulated Jacket/ Vest : They don’t make my jacket anymore but this one is similar.
- Gloves or mittens
- Scarves/ Neck-warmers
- Hats / Bandanas
- Sandals : Chaco’s are great for around camp, in the rain, and even on short hikes.
- Boots : These boots are great in rain, snow, and cooler temperatures.
- Hiking Shoes: similar here.
- Packing Cubes: Great for keeping all these items organized. I use these and these by Eagle Creek!
Personal Items –
- Toiletry Bag: So everything we need in the mornings is located in one spot. Plus- I love that it has a small mirror (it’s the little things).
- Lip Balm
- Face Moisturizer
- Face Wash
- Prescription Medications
- Baby Wipes: On day 4 of a camping trip nothing is better than a baby wipe bath!
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Hand Sanitizer
- Anti-Bacterial Wipes
- Toilet Paper
- First Aid Kit
Other Items To Bring –
- Camera and Lenses
- Camera Batteries
- SD Cards
- Power Bank: I bring 4, all for charging my camera and multiple phones.
- Bungee Cords and extra ropes: to tie down tent
- Rope with carabiners
- Bug Spray
- Citronella Candle
- Portable Speaker
- Cell Phone and Charger
What are some of your essentials you bring with you on your camping adventures?! Happy Camping!